What is Cleaner Production?
Cleaner Production can save money for your company. It is the application of an integrated preventive environmental strategy to processes, products, and services to increase efficiency and reduce risks to humans and environment (UNEP).
Cleaner Production focuses on source reduction and recycling. To reduce wastes, the company can increase product life, change input materials, modify equipment, layout or piping, improve their production process, change equipment to more efficient one, and optimize operating conditions. The company may even look into their operating and management practices for improvements.
CP implementation may:
- Increase productivity
- Reduce operating costs
- Improve worker’s health and safety
- Provide public health and environmental benefits
- Reduce risk of liability
- Improve company image
- Improve global competitiveness
- CP Assessment is initiated with the top management’s recognition to establish a CP program. It is followed by planning and organizing, detailed CP Assessment, feasibility analysis (if needed), implementation of CP and monitoring.
- During planning and organizing, a team of CP assessors for DOST CALABARZON and SUC’s will conduct CP orientation to the company’s CP cause champion(s). The CP assessors together with the CP cause champions will identify the company’s issues and concerns and the focus area of the CP assessment. The group will also identify the environmental Performance Indicators (EPIs), which will be monitored to determine the benefits of implementing CP Assessment in the company.
- The detailed assessment consists of performing material and energy balances, cause-diagnosis, setting of CP targets and generating CP options.
- A CP Assessment report will then be prepared and discussed with the top management/CP cause champions(s). The CP options that are low cost/low risk and feasible are recommended to be implemented by the company.
- Benefits can only be realized through implementation. The benefits of CP implementation can be determined through monitoring of the EPIs. This benefits will make the company continuously find ways to improve their production and sustain the CP programs.