MENU

The Department of Science and Technology (DOST) was originally established as the National Science and Development Board on 13 June 1958. It was later reorganized on 17 March 1982 to become the National Science and Technology Authority vested with broader policy-making and program implementing functions. NSTA was elevated as a Department on 30 January 1987 under Executive Order No. 128. There are, presently, 16 regional offices including one each for CALABARZON and MIMAROPA in Region IV, Cordillera Autonomous Region, National Capital Region, and Autonomous Region for Muslim Mindanao. There are 87 provincial S&T centers nationwide.

The Department through the years...

  • 1958 - Congress passes a law establishing the National Science Development Board (NSDB) upon the recommendation of Dr. Frank Co Tuli, who was tasked to survey the state of Philippine S&T during the Garcia administration;
  • 1982 - NSDB revamped as the National Science and Technology Authority (NSTA) and accorded broader policy-making and program implementing functions;
  • 1987 - NSTA elevated to Cabinet level and becomes the DOST in response to increasing demands for S&T intervention in national development.
  • EO-128

milestone mural small